Friday, April 14, 2017

THINGS TO DO: Creative Writing, Language Arts, and Art Activities to do with a Poetry Picture Book



I had hoped to post more often during National Poetry Month--but I have been busy writing up posts about my book THINGS TO DO and on how to write "things to do" poems for All the Wonders, Book Source, and Two Writing Teachers. Two of my posts are already online. One is due today.

For Poetry Friday this week, I am providing a link to my Booksource article...and to three links at All the Wonders.

ALL THE WONDERS
 

In this article, I share the peaks and valleys that I encountered while creating my poems for THINGS TO DO. It includes some poems that were cut from my original manuscript and the revisions that I made to a few poems in the collection.
In this article, Matthew talks about the poetry and art of THINGS TO DO. It includes six of the beautiful spreads that Catia Chien created for the book.

Katey Howes: "One of my favorite aspects of the book Things To Do is the energy contained in the words and layout. These poems are anything but static! The placement, font, size and color of the words move the reader up, down, and all around the page. As I read, I get the urge to jump, glide, buzz and twirl along—which makes me want to create a very kinetic craft."

 


BOOKSOURCE
 
In this article, I provide suggestions for some language arts discussion and creative writing activities that teachers can do with their students in the classroom using my book THINGS TO DO.

 ************

You'll find this week's Poetry Friday Roundup over at Dori Reads.

 

8 comments:

jan godown annino said...

Congratulations on your book busy days Elaine!
May we all be going hither & yon in this sort of endeavor.
Also, appreciations for these links.

Mrs. Wyman said...

Looking forward to exploring you book, Elaine. Congratulations! Also many thanks for sharing resources with us. Cheers! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

So happy to hear about this book's success inside and outside the classroom, Elaine!

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for the resources! Such a great book!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Great thoughts here. Such a wonderful cover.

Linda B said...

So many teachers, and students, of course, will gain from your beautiful book, Elaine. It's wonderful to see all the connections.

Doraine said...

Congratulations, Elaine. It sounds like you're having a very productive National Poetry Month. That's the important thing, isn't it? Enjoy.

Kay said...

Congratulations on all the book news and activities. It sounds like you are as busy as your book!