Saturday, April 7, 2012

Things to Do If You Are an Alarm Clock: An Original Poem

Now that I’m retired I rarely ever have to set my alarm clock to wake me up in the morning. It’s great not having to be roused from my sleep and to have to get out of bed before my body is ready to start a new day. Here’s a “things to do” poem that expresses the feeling I sometimes had when the buzzing alarm woke me on days when I dreaded getting out of bed.


THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE AN ALARM CLOCK

Don’t YELL at me!
Don’t DING-A-LING-LING
with a harsh metal voice
that makes my ears ring!
Don’t jolt me from my sleep
and start my day off wrong.
Sing me awake
with a soft morning song.


Note: There’s a cute little cooing alarm clock that does wake me three mornings a week these days. It’s my granddaughter Julia. She makes sounds that I love hearing early in the morning. I can’t wait to get out of bed and see her smiling face!


********************

Another Note
I'll announce the winner of Poem in Your Pocket for Young Poets tomorrow.

I'll also announce the title of the poetry book you can win from Wild Rose Reader during the second week of National Poetry Month.



2 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Ha! I have that reaction to my alarm sometimes, too, Elaine.

Linda B said...

I just hit the snooze button more than once! Love seeing Julia so growing up. Those teeth are just so cute! I can see why you love your little 'alarm clock'!