Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My New Blog: Political Verses

Yesterday, I was thinking about some of the political verses that I've written in recent months. My first inspiration came after listening to Sarah Palin's speech at the Republican National Convention last year. (Matt Taibbi's description of Palin speaking to the assembled Republican delegates makes me laugh every time I think of it: "It was like watching Gidget address the Reichstag.") After watching the Governor of Alaska, I penned my first in a series of Palinoems. Then I was inspired by Joe the unlicensed plumber...soon afterward. Last week, it was Rush Limbaugh who sparked my poetic invective after I witnessed part of his performance at CPAC.

Mary Lee of A Year of Reading commented on All Bow Down Now, the poem I wrote about Rush Limbaugh : "I love it when idiots make you mad because your poetry rants are so spot-on!" I appreciate her opinion of my political verses. And Mary Lee is correct--they usually are rants. Ranting poetically is a great cathartic for me. I find it more productive and less painful than banging my head against a wall or pulling my hair out.

I made a decision yesterday to start a new blog called Political Verses. Why? Because I thought some of my future rants might be more appropriate for posting at a blog outside of the kidlitosphere. I also thought it might be a good idea to have just my political verses available on a separate blog. At Political Verses, you will also find links to The Daily Show, Colbert Nation, The Nation, Matt Taibbi's articles at AlterNet, and some of my favorite political blogs.

I have included a link to Political Verses in the sidebar at the right. I'm not sure how often I'll be posting there. At the moment, what you'll find at Political Verses are the poems, mentioned above, that I have posted to date at Wild Rose Reader--and a new poem I wrote today about Ann Coulter.

I do hope you'll visit my new blog every now and again.

9 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Have fun with your new blog!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Vivian! It can be fun venting in light verse.

Julie said...

Great decision, Elaine! I'm linking Political Verses over at the Drift Record.

Mary Lee said...

I am SO going to follow your new blog and pass the link on to folks I know who will appreciate your work!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Julie & Mary Lee,

Thanks so much. I felt it would be better to post most of my political rants at another blog.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

YAY! Can't wait to explore the new blog.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jules,

I just hope that I'll continued to be inspired by current political events and certain individuals to write rhyming verses and rants for my new blog.

Julie said...

Elaine - I have the feeling you will not lack for topics to address - always LOTS of material that falls into the RANT category. Your Coulter poem today, for example.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Julie,

I would have to agree. There's plenty of fodder for poetic rants.