Friday, January 16, 2009

A Charming Prince Has Second Thoughts: An Original Poem





Here’s an original fairy tale poem from my unpublished collection Excerpts from the Fairy Tale Files.


A CHARMING PRINCE HAS SECOND THOUGHTS
by Elaine Magliaro



Listen…Sleeping Beauty snoring

Sounds just like a lion roaring!

If I kiss her cheek, she’ll rise

And look into my deep blue eyes.

She’ll fall in love with me no doubt.

I’m the only prince hereabout.



Should I kiss Beauty? Should I not?

In this dilemma I am caught.

If I wake her now she’s mine—

A roaring, snoring valentine!

I know they say that love is blind,

But it’s not deaf. I’m disinclined

To rouse this maid. I’ll let her snore

And dream of me forevermore.

********************



At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Wendell Berry entitled The Peace of Wild Things.


Karen Edmisten has the Poetry Friday Roundup today.

12 comments:

jama said...

LOL! LOVE it! "roaring, snoring Valentine."

Hey, wait a minute. At our house, it's the prince who snores :)!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

HA. I like that. Refreshing. And I would reeeeally like to read Excerpts From the Fairy Tale Files. Hope to one day!

Jules
7-Imp

Kelly Polark said...

Oh, I love it! Indeed a very original poem!

Anonymous said...

Great sounds! Great humor! I'd love to read more of these.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama, Jules, Kelly, & Jennifer--

Thanks for your comments. When I was an elementary teacher, I used to do an extensive unit on fairy/folktales and their characteristics. My students and I had so much fun reading and sharing all kinds of tales and doing creative activities. My students made fairy tale wanted posters and wrote fairy tale letters and poems. They were great!I was inspired to write my own collection of poems after reading my students' work.

Sara said...

I watched Enchanted the other night, and your poem reminded me of that.

When my husband or I, either one, snore, we are allowed to poke each other to make it stop.

Perhaps poor Beauty has allergies...

Mary Lee said...

Yes, maybe allergies, but maybe sleep apnea! I'm snickering and imagining Sleeping Beauty with a CPAP machine!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Sara & Mary Lee,

Allergies, sleep apnea--heck, the snoring syndrome was probably caused by the bad fairy's evil spell!

Douglas Florian said...

truly funny!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Douglas!

laurasalas said...

Sleeping beauty with a cpap machine. Love that!

OK, Elaine, you're totally psyching me out of working on my own fairy tale poetry collection, which is supposed to be my focus this winter. I can't compete with a snoring Sleeping Beauty--hysterical!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Laura! I wrote most of the poems in this collection nearly fifteen years ago. I have never submitted the manuscript to a publisher, though.