Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Original Poem: Who's on Board the Straight Squawk Express?

I'm leaving today for the Keene State College Children's Literature Festival in New Hampshire. I'll be back on Sunday.

Here's my final, I think, political poem of the 2008 presidential campaign:

Who’s on Board the Straight Squawk Express? or Joe the Plumber Et Al
by Elaine the retired teacher

Joe the plumber,
Mack the Knife,
Hal the husband,
Val the wife,
Don the dentist,
Dick the doc,
Phil the farmer,
Hank the hawk,
Gail the grocer,
Ken the catcher,
Pat the daft
Police dispatcher,
Val the vet and
Babs the baker,
Chad the chocolate
Candy maker,
Al the actor,
Sal the singer,
Greg the guy
Who sniffs his finger,
Bud the butcher,
Mike the mayor,
Steve the hunky
Land surveyor,
Peg the pilot,
Bill the banker,
Nell the nightly
News-hour anchor,
Vic who drives
the old age van,
Rob the Roto-Rooter man,
Will the waiter,
Gil the gilder,
Bo the brawny
Body builder
Ted the teacher,
Don the drummer,
George and Sarah--
Dumb and dumber…
Driving over
Hill and dale
Busy on
The campaign trail.


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem entitled Halloween written by Mac Hammond.

Sylvia has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Poetry for Children.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

14 comments:

jama said...

So cool!! I really love the rhythm of this. I felt like doing some hip hop moves :). Have a great time in NH!!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I'm really looking forward to hearing the presentations of Steven Kellogg and Eric Kimmel at the festival--and to see the new "owls" and picture book art in the festival gallery at Keene State College.

Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks for posting this poem, Elaine. I've noticed that Marian the Librarian is staying off that bus!

Linda said...

I'm really going to miss your politcal poems after the election! You're wonderful at this!
By the way, I put the rest of the poem on my post. I guess they must change the page every Friday. I couldn't even find a search to look for it. I'm glad I saved a copy. : ) That's what I get for posting on Thursday!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Alkelda,

Marian--and the rest of the librarians--aren't quite up for a countrywide tour on that bus.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

I must admit I've had a bit of fun writing my Palinoems and today's list poem.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Love it! Great rhythm. Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday at PoetryforChildren this Halloween! Fun to connect with you again. Stop by any time...
Sylvia

Julie said...

This is great fun, Elaine - well done! By the time I got to Dick the doc I was grinning, and when I hit Pat the daft/Police dispatcher, I was laughing out loud. I wonder if you would give me permission to quote a bit of it (maybe down to daft Pat?) and link to the whole poem over on my blog, The Drift Record? It's the perfect Monday lead-in to Electon Day.

Julie

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Sylvia! Now that I'm fully retired from teaching I have time on my hands to write silly poems. Of course, this presidential campaign provides a lot of fodder for a writer of light verse.


Julie,

Love your poetry books! You are most welcome to quote from my poem. It may be my last political poem of the 2008 election.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Julie,

I changed one line in the poem. I just noticed that I used banker twice. I guess I wasn't careful enough when I reread the poem before I posted it.

Mary Lee said...

Don't make this the last political poem! I'm looking forward to your celebration poem on Wednesday morning! (I'm trying hard to believe there will be no disputing Obama's win and we'll actually be able to celebrate on Wednesday and not months down the line after all the court battles and recounts are done...)

Elaine Magliaro said...

Mary Lee,

I'm hoping to be able to celebrate on Wednesday morning! I am keeping my fingers crossed that Obama will win--and take our country in a new direction.

Anonymous said...

How fun!! Hope the conference was wonderfu.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jone,

The Keene State College Children's Literature Festival was wonderful. I especially enjoyed Eric Kimmel's presentation, which was filled with humor and funny stories.