Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Books for Summer Reading

Today, I thought I’d give you lists of books for summer reading that have been suggested by the fine ladies of the Banbury Cross Children’s Bookshop in Wenham, Massachusetts. This is the place where I buy nearly all of my children’s books.

Here’s a peek inside the bookshop:



SUMMER READING SPECTACULAR

ENTERING GRADES 2, 3 AND 4


The Adventures of Vin Fiz, C. Cussler. A toy plane grows in size and takes two siblings on a cross-country trip.

Akimbo and the Lions, A. Smith. Akimbo wants to help his father, head ranger on an African game preserve.

Amanda Pig and the Really Hot Day, J. Van Leeuwen. Amanda Pig tries to beat the heat!

Busy Busy Moose, N. Van Laan. A humorous seasonal woodland tale.

Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-Haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle, D. Elliott. Evangeline, raised by parents who study monkeys and apes, has a most unusual childhood!

The Get Rich Quick Club, D. Gutman. Gina and her friends plan to become millionaires during summer vacation.

How Tom Beat Captain Najork and His Hired Sportsmen, R. Hoban. A very silly story about Tom, who has mastered the art of fooling around, and his Aunt Fidget, who wants him to stop.

Lulu’s Hat, S. Meddaugh. Things don’t just pop out of this magic hat, they sometimes vanish into it!

The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs, B. Birney. Can Eben really find wonders in his sleepy little hometown? A nice choice for a read-aloud.

Time Spies: Secret In the Tower, C. Ransom. An old spyglass sends 3 friends back in time to Revolutionary War days.

Wind Boy, E. Eliot. This gentle, poetic story about a poor family aided by an ethereal girl from over the purple mountains (perhaps a fairy realm) makes an excellent family read-aloud.

The Year Of the Dog, G. Lin. Taiwanese-American Pacy learns about friends, family and herself in this funny slice-of-life novel.

Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways, L. Kvasnosky. Three short stories about two fabulous fox sisters.


You’ll also find books recommended for students entering grades 5 and 6, books for young adults, and a list of newly published picture books at the website of the Banbury Cross Children's Bookshop. Just click here.

4 comments:

Katie Dicesare said...

This looks like a great list and I am anxious to take it with me to my local bookstore. I have a second grader next year and know he would enjoy a few of these. Thanks!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Katied,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I was a second grade teacher for many years. I had a classroom full of books. One of my students' favorite story characters was Ramona Geraldine Quimby. I miss reading aloud to children now that I'm retired.

Robin said...

What a nice bookstore and a great list of books! I understand about missing reading aloud to children now that you're retired. I'm on Leave of Absence, and there's a lot I miss, but most of all sharing books with the kids.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Robin,

The Banbury Cross Children's Bookshop is a wonderful store. I usually stop by there at least once a week...to look at new books and to chat about children's literature.

I hope you're enjoying your leave. Now I read aloud to older students in the children's literature course that I teach. Most of them enjoy having pictures books read to them.