Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Poem a Day #24

Today I have a nursery rhyme parody for Liz B. at A Chair, A Fireplace & A Tea Cozy. Liz likes to note that she thinks I'm a poetry overachiever when she does the Poetry Friday roundup at her blog. For the record: I stand guilty as charged. I love children’s poetry...and sometimes I get carried away. That’s the way it is! Liz, love your blog. Hope you like the poem.


JACK AND JUNE
by Elaine Magliaro

Jack and June went to the moon,
Crash-landed in a crater.
Jack broke his nose and seven toes.
(He’s a crummy navigator!)

Jack cried in pain. June tried in vain
To soothe her injured mate.
She bound his toes and kissed his nose
And asked him for a date.

Jack and June began to swoon…
Fell mad in love and they
Returned to Earth, their place of birth…
And wed the very next day.

5 comments:

Michele said...

That's so funny and cool...

I'm still working on a poem for you, Elaine - but having a head full of prose isn't helping much !

Elaine Magliaro said...

Michele,

It's fun writing parodies! I look forward to reading your poem. You've got a head full of Shakespeare, no doubt.

Michele said...

Yes - my head is full of both Shakespeare and Doctor Who - it gets very noisy, making the writing of poetry rather hard !

Liz B said...

Thank you so much! I love it!

Erin said...

That is so great!